The crew over at ShopSmart;) magazine has these tips to share... and they should know because they are part of Consumer Reports- love them + trust them- Thanks for the info CR!
- Keep ground spices no more than 2-3 years + whole spice for 3-4 years.
- Don't place spice rack indirect sunlight.
- Keep out air, heat, + moisture by storing spices away from the dishwasher, fridge, sink, stove, + under cabinet lighting. I suggest tucked away on a shelf riser in your cupboard or in a drawer with a fabulous spice tray.
- Whole, crushed, + ground chili peppers, including paprika, will stay fresher longer in the fridge. (now that one's news to me!)
- Do the whiff test-if the spice smells strong, use it. If not, toss it.
There you have it... time to whiff, sniff + toss. Last time I visited my parents I did a quick toss... anything with a price sticker on it was quite the obvious toss!
Some of my fav spice drawer solutions are shown in the photos available at Storables- note to keep the sun away.... try putting the mag board on the inside of the cupboard door.
Let me know how many spices you toss.....